Saturday, May 14, 2016

Waffle Iron - A Useful Camping Accessory

Who can resist a warm strawberry waffle for breakfast... especially when
it's relatively low carb?!?


Hello and welcome to the blog today.  I've recently picked up a gadget for the kitchen but will probably buy another for the storage area of the van.  It's that useful... and you can get them cheap at the Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc.

It's a round waffle iron.

Recently I'd been craving pancakes and waffles but the carbs were a killer, especially considering the low fiber content.  But that's all changed for the better after watching an episode of "Shark Tank" on ABC...  I love the show where various entrepreneurs hawk their products and the sharks (investors) make offers to help the growing businesses flourish.  One such business is Kodiak Cakes.


Available at Target, this is one mix you will
probably never waste!


A half-cup serving of this fiber rich mix is diabetic friendly - just two exchanges.  It's "complete" meaning you don't have to add milk or egg (unless you want to boost protein that way).  Another nice feature is that it is 1 for 1... For every measure of the mix you add an equal amount of water.  That's convenient for campers who prefer to not carry a lot of kitchen gadgets (I only have a 1/4 cup measure in the van).  The ease of use and great flavor and nutrition makes this mix a terrific companion for those of us who are out in nature.

Nothing is sacred... He loved the bacon, egg, and cheese breakfast sandwich


Some might say, "Well, aren't waffles just for breakfast?" and rightfully so.  But this mix has an earthy, whole grain flavor that also tastes like terrific quality bread.  I've used it for breakfast sandwiches (bacon, egg, and cheese).  Last night a waffle was the "bread" for two Kosher hot dogs.  Other plans include adding some seeds (such as flax) and using a waffle in place of a hamburger bun.  By varying the cooking times and water, one can make the waffles delicate for breakfast or sturdy enough for a ribeye steak sandwich for dinner.  It's fun to experiment and enjoy the "fresh bread" smell and taste any time!.

With the waffle maker's easy clean-up, simple use, and the convenience of Kodiak Cakes, I'm looking forward to many delicious breakfasts to come whether at home or in the great outdoors.  The next project?  I'm making tender Swiss steak and, of course, will try it with a nice multi-grain waffle "tortilla" for lunch tonight at work.



That's about it for now.  Later this week Kitty Jesse James and I are going to head to southeast Iowa and do some camping and visit our buddy Johnnie.  I'm checking out some new spots to do some river fishing, and hopefully bring back some catfish or sturgeon.  There should be some more good pictures!

Take care and thanks for visiting.  Safe and happy travels always!

Brad, Jesse James, and Jennifer
Jones County, Iowa


2 comments:

  1. I just gave away my waffle iron because I had never used it. I will try basic frying in a skillet pancake style for my quick breads I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to look for this at the local Target. That waffle sure looks good.

    ReplyDelete