Friday, March 11, 2016

First Night Camping - A Welcome Diversion

Maquoketa Caves Campground


Hello and welcome to the blog.  Wednesday was a difficult day.  When the going gets tough, the tough go camping.  I had not planned on taking the van anywhere but it turned out to be a good idea.

Last week as I was finishing the remodel, it was necessary to lift the bed (using my back) and drag some carpeting underneath.  Something made a "CRACK!" sound in the middle back area - likely a tendon.  Even now it is causing problems.

The back made my job difficult over last weekend.  Working on pallets of freight (normally not my job) seemed to exacerbate the back issues; Wednesday afternoon the pain was excruciating.  Then came the kick in teeth (or nuts).  I got a "coaching" (aka warning) for not being productive enough.  As if I didn't feel like crap already trying to walk and work between muscle spasms...   :)

She's made herself at home and seems to like camping.


After work I grabbed a 12 pack of Diet Coke, a bag of tacos, kitty Jennifer, and then headed to the Maquoketa Caves State Park in Maquoketa, Iowa.  The stress and pain were overwhelming.  We spent the night peacefully camping and just settled back, watched TV shows, and enjoyed the fresh air.  It was helpful.

By morning my thoughts were crystal clear - no worries about work.  I do my best every day, offer to help everyone that walks by, and leave with a clear conscience.  That's all that matters to me.  Therefore, metrics, write-ups, etc. don't matter... nor should they.

Looking up at a bird, chattering, with the tail puffed out.


Unfortunately, the back issues were still there and I called the doctor's office.  They got me in on Friday and now I'm off work for most of a week.  Muscle relaxers and physical therapy were prescribed.  Sometimes a person has to take care of him or her self above everything else.

That's about all that's new.  The van is all cleaned out and ready for the next trip.  I'm delighted with the layout and how easy it is to maintain the cleanliness and readiness for a "spur of the moment" excursion  This one was most needed and enjoyed.

Take care.  Happy and safe travels!

Brad, Jesse James, and Jennifer





5 comments:

  1. Sorry about your back, do take it easy and follow the Drs. orders. I did a job on my back last year and still am having problems, but I'm old haha.

    Sometimes a job is a pain in the butt but when your young it is necessary for survival and the pursuit to camping fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. Back pain is no fun. Take care!

      Delete
  2. Thanks Bethers. I agree - all those statistics does make a person feel like a machine. The harder you push a machine, the more likely it will break down. Oh well. I'm going to have to use a heating pad this morning. It will be good to have a little more time off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do have the important things, kitten, house, van, and the back will be ok, especially with a heating pad. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the note. I have to go to physical therapy later this morning. Unfortunately it's not getting any better and the pain (which is worsening) is right at the spine... I so hope it's not a disc or anything... Oh well. I guess time will tell. The time off from work (a week now) has been kind of nice though. :)

      Delete